GWX3 Gold for Silent Hunter 3
You may very well play for years and not see everything we have changed! This final release for SH3 gives you ALL the hundreds of features and fixes from previous GWX versions in one single installer - PLUS:
- Environment 2.4.3 mod by 'onelifecrisis' — a MAJOR breakthrough in SH3 environmental modding! OLC was the first modder to definitively solve the horizon defect inherent in other 16km environment mods. He has also largely removed the unrealistic polygon effect from the waves present in ALL other environmental mods. In GWX 3.0 we have blended OLC's awesome mod with elements of our own work that we wanted to retain. If you're unfamiliar with OLC's Environment mod, it includes:
- New environment colours
- Improved sky textures, fog, lighting and reflections.
- Darker light levels at night (based on time of day, time of year and geographic location)
- Visual sensors of all non-player units (ships, planes, etc.) are greatly affected by visibility levels at night — and also by your U-boat's speed and visible profile. These changes mean that surface attacks are very much a possibility early in the war (pre-radar)
- Visual sensors of all non-player units are also affected by the unit's veterancy (i.e. competence level of the crew), which increases as the war progresses.
- Many other environment and lighting fixes.
- The new environment mod in GWX3 contains the following small fixes and adjustments by 'Ref' and 'Kpt. Lehmann':
- Restored moon reflections
- Set water opacity to GWX default
- Added moon graphic mod by 'ichneumon'
- Integrated the original wave textures from GWX
Updated GWX 'Open Hatch' optional mod:
- Now opens the bulkhead hatch between the command room and radio room in the Type IX and Type XXI U-boats
- Minor updates to the Type VII Open Hatch mod
Weather pattern improvements
- Increases the rate at which the weather changes, resulting in shorter and more frequent periods of stormy weather and clear weather over the course of a patrol.
Other additions and enhancements:
- Added replacement Georgios Averof armored cruiser by 'vonDos'
- Interior views now slant according to the dive angle, based on original work by 'Anvart' and enhanced by 'Vickers03'
- Real depth charge sounds added
- Added 'Lehmann International News' by 'Wreford-Brown' — radio messages that inform you of events during WW2
- U-boat distress radio messages by 'von Hally' and 'Danurve'
- Incorporated small hotfixes to GWX V2.1 by 'bigboywooly':
- Fixed missing second Calais harbor showing on map
- Moved Calais gun emplacements
- Fixed bug where Type VIIC/42 radar was destroyed upon starting game
- Fixed 7th flotilla entry/exit dates from Königsberg causing opposing base change messages
- Fixed error in ge_menu.txt where Memel was listed instead of Königsberg
- Added silhouette fixes by 'Reece'
- Adjusted draft of the Coal Tender to remove sinking ship bug
- VIIC/Turm 2 reflection fix by 'Reece' with adjustments by 'Privateer'
- Type XIV U-boat ('milchkuh') caustics corrections by 'Privateer'
- Corrected location of Brunsbüttel and Holtenau by 'bigboywooly'
- Museum text adjustments by 'bigboywooly' for:
- Brooklyn-class light cruiser
- Buckley-class destroyer escort
- River class frigate
- Small depot ship
- Armed Tugboat
- Ceramic-type ocean liner
- Large passenger/cargo ship
- Large troopship
- Adjusted radio message dates for U-488 re-supply U-boat and Operation Cerberus.
The above is a summary of the changes in GWX3 Gold. A complete list of changes can be found in the 'GWX 3.0 Changelog.txt' text file that is installed with the add-on.
The GWX Team gives special thanks to 'onelifecrisis' ('OLC') for his assistance with the integration and adjustment of his environmental modifications to ensure the correction of the horizon demarcation issue present in GWX and other available 16 kilometer visibility mods prior to his involvement. View other modifications by OLC.
- 3.3 gigabytes of free disk space
- A clean installation of Silent Hunter 3 (no other mods installed)
- The latest patch (1.4b) installed (please read the GWX3 GOLD installation instructions in the Support section)
The Grey Wolves team suggests your computer meets the recommended system configuration requirements for Silent Hunter 3. Use the Silent Hunter 3 Detection Tool to determine whether your system meets these requirements.
We have found that running Silent Hunter 3 and GWX with less than the recommended configuration can result in choppiness and low frame rates (frames per second), and can occasionally result in freezing or locking up your game.
More information about installing GWX can be found in the Support section.
Screenshot slideshows from GWX3 Gold and previous GWX versions: